Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Choices and Responsibility


My earliest memory of my dad encompasses his clarity of choice to be responsible and to do what needed to be done for the best possible outcome.
Not too many years ago, while having my eyes examined, my doctor told me to go home and hug my Dad and Mom and thank them for my eyesight. We discussed how when I was born, one of my eyes were underdeveloped. It was prevalent in several of my cousins as well. Daddy and Mom took me to Dr. Baldwin. He explained I could have surgery, which was not full proof to correct the situation or go through a series of consistent eye drops, patches, and exercises to strengthen the vision of the right eye. My parents made the decision to forego surgery and became very dedicated to work together to improve my vision. At 18 months old, I began to wear glasses. Sometimes my eye was patched; sometimes the lens of my glasses for my left eye was obscurred so I was forced to use my right eye. I remember laying on the counter numerous times to have drops administered. What this remembrance of this very personal ability to see, is completely due to my parents' willingness to do what needed to be done; not to take the easy route, but to infact be consistent in following a doctor's plan to the last detail. Thank you, Daddy.

Dad never hesitated in helping with helping Mom with the day to day raising of us kids. I had a peach chiffon dress with puffy sleeves and a bow that needed to be tied in the back. To this day, I can recall how it felt to have Daddy "puff those sleeves" and tie that bow perfectly. He may have been originally instructed by my Mom, but he never hesitated to make us feel as though we were the ony one in the room.

Daddy could have been an actor! He dressed one time for a "faux" fashion show in a "tea length dress, complete with gray curly wig, a Tea box purse, cap (ballcaps) sleeves, and large ladies glasses. Daddy walked toward me holding that box purse ever so femininely and I simply could not fathom that that was my Dad! It was hilarious.

Daddy told me one time, "Jona Ruth- You may not be any better than anyone, but you are just as good. Work hard."

I have always loved watching my parents together and how my dad loved my mom. I never, never heard them raise their voices, I heard them giggle together, even in the last days, Mom was in his hospital bed with them and they scared the nurse when she came in to take vitals! They held hands. They cared for each other deeply!

I have learned so much from my parents. My Dad could always make me laugh. He could tell the best of stories with great detail from his childhood in Virginia and of his parents and six brothers, of his courting of Mommy, and farming. He was so smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment